November is National Family Literacy Month! This celebration started in 1994, when the National Center for Families Learning (NCFL) worked with Congress to make November 1st National Family Literacy Day. Since then, educators and book lovers from across the country have come together each November to celebrate a love of reading and work towards the important goal of ensuring that every child has access to a solid literacy foundation.
Here are five things that you can do to celebrate this month:
- Visit a local library. Libraries are a great community resource. They offer access to all kinds of books, free of charge! They also have many great educational events and other services. If you’re a Palm Beach County resident, find out what’s on offer at your local library here: http://www.pbclibrary.org
- Practice vocabulary words with a “word of the day.” Learning a new word every day is a great way to improve your reading skills. Choose a word and incorporate it into your day however you can, whether that’s making a special meal or singing a song or something completely unique! And this isn’t just for people with little kids; everyone can learn new words!
- Design a book cover. At CCE, we value creativity and weaving art into education. If you’re trying to get a child or family member excited about reading, try making your own book cover! You can recreate the actual cover or come up with an idea all on your own. Get creative with the materials you use for an added bit of fun.
- Dress up like a book character. There’s no better way to immerse yourself in a story than by dressing up like one of the characters! Whether it’s something simple or a complex costume, this is an opportunity to get excited about reading and to step into someone else’s shoes; literally!
- Read! National Family Literacy Month is all about emphasizing the importance of reading. So, the most important thing you can do to celebrate this month is read! Read anything that interests you or your child. Even just fifteen minutes a day can make a world of difference!